Service Learning Program
At MSU Denver, service learning is defined as a form of experiential learning in which students combine classroom experience with community-based service that:
- Meets an identified community need,
- Provides a structured opportunity for students to reflect on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of course content,
- Balances student goals and community goals through collaborative development of course content and service opportunity, and
- Engages students in structured preparation for, participation in, and reflection on the service experience.
Are you currently engaged in service learning?
Faculty who engage in service learning activities are strongly encouraged to keep us in the loop. Please Report Your Service Learning Activities. In addition to tracking your projects, we can offer support and advice on issues like MSU Denver's Workers' Comp policy and Liability Insurance. If you are doing community-based research, you may also need to obtain IRB approval. Visit their website www.msudenver.edu/irb for more information.
Service Learning Designation
The Service Learning Designation provides official recognition for classes that meet specific criteria for utilizing a service learning pedagogy. Learn more about the Service Learning Designation.
Check out opportunities for funding: Service Learning Mini-Grants, Designation Incentive Grants, and Community-based Research Grants.
Digital Measures FAQs
How can I add my service learning classes to Digital Measures?
In the Teaching section, click on Scheduled Teaching.
- Open your course.
- Scroll down to Annotations and Supporting Documentation section (about the middle of the page)
- The help window has a definition of community engagement
- Slightly farther down the page, there is a section to add information about community partners for service learning and number of students involved with the partner
How can I add community based research to Digital Measures?
There is currently no option for listing community based research (unless it is sponsored or funded research).
Can I add community based research or advocacy to the Service section in Digital Measures?
There are no options for community based research or advocacy. You will have to select “committee member” or “other,” or whatever seems to best describe the collaboration.