Academics and Research
Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to the governance of the University. The Trustees grant authority to the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the operation of the University.
Purpose: This policy allows students to request an exception from an academic requirement or standard.
Scope: This policy applies to all MSU Denver undergraduate students.
Responsible Executive: Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
Responsible Office: Provost's Office
Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
Students may appeal to the Board of Academic Standards Exceptions (BASE) to request a variance from University academic requirements. Valid reasons for variances must accompany all petitions, and the petitions must be signed by the appropriate dean and department chair.
Students may not waive basic degree requirements. The following may not be waived for any student:
- A minimum requirement of 120 semester hours for graduation with a Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum requirement of 40 semester hours of upper-division courses (3000- and 4000-level courses) for graduation with a Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum requirement of 30 semester hours for the major.
- A minimum requirement of 18 semester hours for the minor.
- A minimum requirement of 30 semester hours at MSU Denver prior to the term of graduation.
- A minimum required cumulative GPA of 2.00 in the major, the minor, or the program (as applicable and denoted in the Catalog).
- The following components of a degree: the major, the minor, General Studies, Multicultural graduation requirement, Senior Experience requirement, or emphasis (as applicable and denoted in the Catalog).
- Lower-division credit earned at another institution shall not be granted upper-division credit.
- The specified minimum credit hours required for a certificate program.
Effective: March 1997
Revised: March 2018, 2016
Revision Notes: Policy revised March 2018 to require students to complete the minimum number of credit hours for a certificate program.
Review Schedule: This policy is to be reviewed every three years or as necessary to conduct University operations.
Source: University Catalog, catalog.msudenver.edu