Master of Professional Accountancy, M.P.Acc.
In just one year, you could have your master of Professional Accountancy degree from the AACSB-accredited College of Business at Metropolitan State University of Denver.
MSU Denver M.P.Acc. program offers an accelerated road to an advanced accounting degree with concentrations in these high-demand areas: Public Accounting, Fraud Examination and Forensics Accounting, Internal Auditing and Taxations.
Consisting of 30 credits (no thesis), the MSU Denver graduate Professional Accountancy program not only gives you the educational requirements you need to sit for Colorado’s CPA exam, but it also provides a forum in which to develop expertise, hone your critical thinking abilities and enhance your communication skills. Courses in the M.P.Acc. program are research based, writing intensive and leadership and teamwork oriented. Plus, you can build on your education by participating in a service-learning course or professional internship.
MSU Denver’s rigorous graduate-level curriculum is designed to prepare you for the intense, demanding requirements and expectations of the accounting profession.
The MSU Denver Department of Accounting offers the following programs:
- 3+2 Master of Professional Accountancy
- This degree program allows you to earn both a B.S. in Accounting and an M.P.Acc. in five years.
- 4+1 Master of Professional Accountancy
- Choose this degree if you already have a bachelor’s degree in any subject.
- B.S. in Accounting
- Select this program if you have yet to earn a bachelor's degree.
- Minor in Accounting
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
- Acquire the education and credit hours necessary to take Colorado’s CPA exam.
- Make a great financial decision. MSU Denver is the value leader among M.P.Acc. programs in Colorado.
- Take classes at times convenient for working students. Most MSU Denver M.P.Acc. classes are offered in the afternoon or evenings one day a week.
- Conduct academic research working with an Accounting faculty member.
- Study with professors who have real-world experience. MSU Denver professors are experts in their areas and experienced. Classes are kept small, so you can get one-on-one assistance and advice.
- Gain job search assistance from MSU Denver’s Office of Career Services, which brings companies and organizations to campus interested in recruiting MSU Denver students.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
You can take your graduate Professional Accountancy degree from MSU Denver into a variety of careers in public accounting, business and industry, government, nonprofits, higher education, healthcare, aerospace and more.
Many of our graduates parlay their degrees into leadership positions as controllers, accounting and finance directors, vice presidents or use their in-depth accounting backgrounds to start businesses of their own.
“There are so many opportunities to think outside the classroom: field trips, guest speakers, ‘Meet the Firms Night,’ internship and research opportunities. There is a big emphasis on what happens next for us in accounting and preparing for the CPA exam. Professors are top-notch with an excellent combination of academic experience and CPA-in-the-trenches experience. I feel like everyone can succeed given the tools that MSU Denver provides.”
Cassie Aurich (MSU Denver ’16) is a senior accountant and grant manager at AllHealth Network.
Alumni at Work
MSU Denver M.P.Acc. graduates go on to work in a wide range of economic sectors from nonprofit and government to high tech. Here is a small sampling of companies that have employed MSU Denver M.P.Acc. graduates:
- AIM House LLC
- TeleTech Inc.
- EOG Resources
- Denver’s Early Childhood Council
- MS Biotec
- Armstrong Oil and Gas
- Crowe Horwath LLP
- Charles Schwab
The MSU Denver Master of Professional Accountancy program is a 10-class, 30-credit program that gives you a sound background in general accounting principles but also allows you to develop expertise through four concentrations including Public Accounting, Fraud Examination and Forensic Accounting, Internal Audit and Taxation.
Here are some classes you might take:
Facilities and Resources
Easily accessible by public transit, the MSU Denver campus is located steps away from Denver’s financial district as well as city, state and federal government offices, giving you easy access to internships, research and professional opportunities.
Our Internal Audit Projects class was runner-up for the Southwestern Business Deans’ Association Bobby G. Bizzell Innovative Achievement Award, which is given for addressing university business needs through service learning.
The MSU Denver College of Business is AACSB-accredited, which places the College among the world’s 5 percent of business programs that hold this distinction.