Psychology Major, B.A.
The inner workings of the brain. The mystery of human emotions. The psychology of gender. Society and addiction.
Psychology is a fascinating subject that looks at the vast landscape of human experience and asks why do we think, feel and behave the way we do. In addition to research-focused opportunities, the psychology major at MSU Denver will give you a broad background in the field so that you not only graduate understanding research methods but also clinical, developmental and social approaches to psychology.
Offering opportunities for internships, teaching and research internships, your psychology bachelor’s degree puts you on a path to help people in times of transition or crisis while also giving you the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the helping professions, work in nonprofit organizations or government agencies and apply for graduate studies.
MSU Denver offers the following choices for psychology students:
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
What can you do with a B.A. in Psychology from MSU Denver?
Most MSU Denver psychology majors plan careers as counselors. But with the broad-based preparation you’ll receive at MSU Denver, you can translate your psychology degree into careers that include human resources, addictions counseling, elementary and secondary school teaching and criminal justice. You will also be prepared for further graduate study in clinical and experimental psychology as well as education, business, law criminal justice, nursing, social work and public health.
Hear from our students:
“I didn’t think very highly of myself early on in my college endeavors. It wasn’t until I got the nudge from Dr. Cynthia Erickson to consider research that it created a spark that motivated me to excel and pursue neuroscience.”
Anastasia Zavilla MSU Denver ’15
The Department of Psychology is one of the largest and most vibrant on campus with 1,200 majors, 200 minors and 25 full-time faculty.
The department has one of MSU Denver’s largest internships programs. In the past students have interned at places such as:
- Children’s Hospital Colorado
- Latina Safehouse
- Horsebuds Therapeutic Riding
- National Jewish Health
- Adams County Public Defender’s Office
- Healing First Recovery Center
- Girls Inc.
- Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation
- Center for Autism and Related Disorders
- Eating Disorders Foundation
- Rose Andom Center
- New Beginnings Recovery Center
- Savio House
Layton Seth Curl and Mary Ann Watson
Layton Seth Curl and Mary Ann Watson have completed three new educational films: “The Meaningful Life,” “Pursuit of Happiness” and “Dimensions of Culture.” They have also produced a 21-part video series entitled “Portraits in Sexuality,” which is used all over the world.
Bethany Fleck Dillen
Bethany Fleck Dillen studies cognitive and social development in classrooms, focusing on issues in early childhood education and university classrooms. Of late she’s been looking in to the effects of service learning, flipped classrooms and integrating social media into teaching.
Kristen Lyons is an expert on mindfulness training in childhood and adolescence and the development of self-regulation, metacognition and metamemory.
Alumni at Work
MSU Denver Psychology alumni have been hired by these organizations:
- Metropolitan State University
- Children's Hospital of Colorado
- Excelsior Youth Center
- Jefferson Center for Mental Health
- Green Solutions Industrial International LTD
- Aurora Mental Health Center
- Cardiff By The Sea, California
- Northwestern Mutual
- Lucky's Market
- Colorado Youth at Risk
- Colorado Access/Access Management Services, LLC
- Endologix Inc
- Indoor Air Technologies
- Flatirons Technology Group
MSU Psychology graduates have been accepted for post-graduate study at:
- Adler University Chicago, Clinical Psychology Psy.D.
- Bowling Green State, Ph.D. Experimental Psychology
- California State San Bernardino, Counseling & Guidance M.S.
- Colorado State University, Ph.D. Experimental Psychology
- Colorado State University, Ph.D. Education and Human Development
- Florida State University, Marriage & Family Therapy Ph.D.
- Georgetown, MS Math and Statistics
- Oakland University, Counseling M.A.
- Pepperdine University, Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage & Family Therapy for Latinas/os MA
- Regis University, Counseling M.A.
- University of Colorado Boulder, Ph.D. Behavioral Neuroscience
- University of Colorado Denver, Ph.D. In Clinical Health Psychology
- University of Denver, MA in International Disaster Psychology, Forensic Psychology M.A.
- University of Minnesota, M.P.H. M.S.W.
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Counseling Psychology Ph.D.
- University of Northern Colorado, Ph.D. Counseling Psychology, Counselor Education & supervision
- University of San Diego, Marriage and Family Therapy M.A.
- University of Utah, Master’s of Education in Clinical Mental Health Counselor
MSU Denver offers a wide array of psychology courses from general core psych classes to electives on specialty areas that could inform your future career.
- Psychology of Sexuality
- Multicultural Psychology
- Psychology of Social Development
- Behavioral Neuroscience
- Psychology of Group Prejudice
- Positive Psychology
- Cognitive Aging
- Cravings and Addiction
Facilities and Resources
The Department's Research Club is one of the most active on campus, with annual peer-reviewed presentations at the Rocky Mountain Psychological Association. We also have the Clinical & Counseling Club and a chapter of Psi Chi International Honors Society in Psychology.